Monday, March 25, 2013

Super Easy Sugar Free Not-Exactly-ANZAC biscuits

Still in sugar free mode - and after taking a day off for my husband's birthday to eat sugary dessert and then getting sick and feeling rubbish for days after, I'm thinking this sugar free thing is going to be permanent. Seriously, refined sugar is basically poison in disguise... but that's a rant for another post!

So I was craving biscuits to go with my cup of tea tonight, and I knew I had a lot of oats in the cupboard so I thought of ANZAC biscuits. Could I do them sugar free?

(Oh, and 'biscuit' is Australian for 'cookie' by the way.)

The result is not strictly an ANZAC. It has honey instead of golden syrup, added sultanas and I used an egg because I wasn't sure if it would bind together without one.

But they turned out well - not very sweet, but nice and biscuity. Satisfied my craving, anyway.

Super Easy Sugar Free Not-Exactly-ANZAC biscuits:

1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 cup rolled oats
150g melted butter
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 tsp bicarb
1 egg

Preheat oven to about 180 degrees celsius.

Chuck it all in and mix. Too wet? Add a bit more flour. Too dry? You can add a bit of milk, but this will make them crisper. Otherwise a bit more honey or melted butter.

Form in golf ball size balls and place on a lined tray. Flatten the balls down a bit with your fingers or a fork. They don't spread very much.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.


Verdict: Not very sweet - could try more honey if this a problem for you - but will satisfy a biscuit craving, especially if you dip it in your tea!


Happy sugar free baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...